Mar 2, 2009

Research Week

I'm busy doing research for my next picture book. It's hard work, especially with someone breathing down my neck. My 4-year-old son and I are making forts inside the house today. ( It's 8 degrees out.) My son is a bit of a tyrant. I thought I knew all there was to know about building a great fort. I pulled all the cushions off the sofa and chairs. I grabbed blankets and pillows. But, apparently I still have more to learn because he kept tearing down what I built and building something completely different. That's the thing about observing children and immersing yourself in their world. The way their minds think and the creative things they do with their imaginations is so different from what an adult would do. I love it!
I'm also busy doing other research this week. I have some books waiting for me at the library. There are two publishers specializing in Hispanic Children's Lit. that I'm considering sending my last manuscript to. My finished manuscript "Does your Nose Remember?/ ¿Tu Nariz Recuerde? " is a bilingual book with a young Latino boy as its central character. So, I requested some books from these publishers before I decide to query or send the ms off to them. One of the publishers requests a phone call as a query! Yikes! Wish me luck....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Rebecca. I wrote the Night journal and just noticed it here on a google query. Thanks so much for listing it among all those great books. I'm flattered. I re-read The woman in White a few years ago, and Possession is one of my favorites. From your list here I bet you might also like Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner if you haven't read it yet. Anyway many thanks for placing the night journal in such good company. Best of luck with your own labors of love, as well as all those forts you're building. And about books in Spanish and English--my daughter loves one about a young girl whom the curandera sends into the King Ranch property for some rue plant to cure her mother. I can't think of the title right now but I can get it for you if you like. I think it's La Llorona, or something like that. Take care, Elizabeth Crook

Rebecca said...

Ms. Elizabeth Crook, thank you for your comment. I am star-struck. You made my day. You are truly gifted and deserve to be listed with A.S. Byatt and Wilke Collins. One of the books I checked out from the library is La Llorona. I'll be reading it this weekend. Thank you again, I'm grateful for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I'm glad you found La Llorona; I sent my mom the link to your blog because I knew it would make her happy to see Night journal hanging out in such great company. Many thanks again. Take care, and happy reading.
Elizabeth

Rebecca said...

Thanks again Elizabeth. I called my mom and told her about you leaving a comment on here. She's a big fan of the Night Journal too!