Oct 28, 2009

Learning To Outline


Between severe headaches, a minor bathroom re-do, PTA duties, getting ready for Halloween and an Usborne book party, I've been working on outlining my novel for NaNoWriMo. I've never attempted to write a novel before. The longest thing I've worked on is a chapter book that was meant to be a picture book. My last experience with outlines was for my college course in public speaking. So, I did what any semi-intelligent person with working fingers does- I Googled "how to outline a novel." I was surprised that I didn't have to sort through a bunch of gobbly-gook to find something useful. I came across Randy Ingermanson's "Snowflake Method" on his website www.advancedfictionwriting.com. I've been using the method to outline my novel, and I have to say it has been super helpful. I'm learning a lot and having fun, so I'm already finding that signing up for NaNoWriMo is paying off. Now if only the rest of my life could be outlined into order....(sigh). How great would it be if I could write a scene of my own life where I binge on chocolate and my headache disappears? Then, Tom Silva from TOH shows up at my door to remodel my bathroom while Colin Cowie throws together a lavish Halloween soiree, and also offers to work his magic for my book party. Overactive imagination? Absolutely- that's why I write!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Luck with NaNoWriMo. I did the blog version last year and it was challenging, but by the end I was a much more efficient writer.

Rebecca said...

Thanks Kelly. Even if I don't finish I think I'll be a better writer for having attempted it.

Tana said...

This is exactly what I have to do! I haven't been to the website in a while, thanx for the link!

Rebecca said...

Glad to help T. Anne. Want to be my buddy on NaNoWriMo? I'm RebeccaAnn at
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/528758